There are more than a dozen four-year colleges and universities in Colorado and hundreds across the country! This week, we'll narrow down your options and learn more about the application process.
If you know to which schools you plan to apply, jump to the Preparing Your Applications section.
If you need to narrow down your options, follow the steps below!
Narrowing Down Your Options Using School Finder
Step 1: From the CIC homepage, navigate to the College Planning > Explore Postsecondary Schools > School Finder.
Step 2: Use the menu on the left side of your screen to filter by dozens of criteria. Click Programs/Majors Offered to select the postsecondary program(s) you identified earlier in CAM. When you finish inputting criteria, scroll down and click See Matching Schools.
Step 3: Your criteria will generate a list of matching schools. To learn more about the school, click on the institution name.
Step 4: If you are interested in any Colorado four-year schools, visit the College Admissions Tool Matching College List. Enter your high school GPA and test scores. How competitive are you at each school? Select to Compare your favorites.
Preparing Your Applications
Once you determine your school(s) of choice, you will need to complete the following tasks to apply.
- Submit your high school transcript to your institution(s) of choice.
- Get a letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor.
- Write a personal essay.
First, let's get organized! Fill out the four-year checklist in your CAM Passport. Here’s an example:
Program Application: Political Science at Colorado Mesa University
I want to apply by: Nov. 9
|Request Transcript||Oct. 12||Will need to talk to my counselor|
|Get recommendation||Oct. 17||Will need to talk to my teachers|
|Write first draft of personal essay||Oct. 25||Need to ask friends and family to proofread|
|Fill out practice application worksheet||Oct. 27||Need to fill out with my family|
|Write final version of personal essay||Oct. 28|
Now that you have a plan in place, CIC has many tools and templates to help with each step of the application process.
Get your recommendation letter: Most colleges and universities will ask for a recommendation from a teacher, counselor, coach or other mentor.
- Visit the Letters of Recommendation webpage
- Download and fill out the pdf All About Me (488 KB) worksheet to assist your reference in writing your recommendation.
Write your personal essay: This is your opportunity to showcase your unique experiences and interests—what makes you you!
- Read the Writing Your Personal Essay webpage.
- Download and fill out the pdf Preparing to Write Your Essay (451 KB) worksheet to plan your essay.
Get Ready to Apply
- Download the practice application.
- Review our FAQ page.
- Some of the information (such as tuition classification) will require your parents’ help.
- Using the Common Application? Check out this How-to Guide.
Mission Accomplished: Show your CAM Ambassador your completed checklist.