To join the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard, review the requirements on this webpage.
To join the enlisted ranks, in general you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder
- Non-citizens must speak, read, and write English fluently.
- Non-citizens must currently live in the U.S.
- Be in good health
- Be at least 17 years old
- Have a high school diploma (some branches will accept a GED)
- Pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test
To become an officer:
You can become an officer in the U.S. military by graduating from one of the U.S. service academies. The academies are colleges that train future commissioned officers.
- United States Military Academy — Army
- United States Naval Academy — Navy and Marine Corps
- United States Coast Guard Academy
- United States Merchant Marine Academy
- United States Air Force Academy
You can also earn an officer commission through:
- Officer Candidate School (OCS)
- Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC)
- A direct commission from the enlisted ranks
- Certain legal, medical, or clergy professions
To prepare to apply, fill out the checklist in your CAM Passport. Here’s an example:
Military Application: U.S. Air Force
|Information/Document Needed||Do I have it available?||Notes|
|My citizenship information||Yes|
|Meet with recruiter; commit to serve|
|Review sample ASVAB questions|
|Set visit date to Military Entrace Processing Station (MEPS)|
|Pass the ASVAB test|
|Pass the phyiscal exam|
Mission Accomplished: Show your CAM Ambassador your completed checklist to earn your stamp.